In this article, you will learn how to:
- Create a new interview template in CodeSignal
- Edit your existing templates
- Configure custom feedback for an interview template
- You must be a company admin to create a new template. Company admins can also edit templates for any team and edit templates without a team.
- Users in the manager role can edit existing templates for their teams only.
- Templates apply only to CodeSignal Interview.
Create a New Template
1. Log into CodeSignal and navigate to Interview
2. Click the blue TEMPLATES link in the top right.
3. To create a new template, click the + CREATE link in the top right.
4. Next, you will add tasks to your template with the + ADD A TASK button. You can search for tasks by name, filter by type or author, or sort by name. You will need to add tasks to your template one at a time.
Note: Free-Text and Quiz task types can NOT be added to an interview template. However, you can use a free-coding task instead. Choose a free-coding task and paste your scenario into the Description. This will accomplish the same expected outcome. You can also use the whiteboard to draw or the coding space to write out parts of the conversation. If you expect to type, you can limit the language to just Plain Text.
5. Assign a score to the task and click on DONE.
6. After you've added at least 2 tasks to your template, you can re-order tasks by clicking and dragging a task above or below others.
7. To delete one or more tasks from your template, click the checkbox to the left of the task(s) and click Delete selected tasks.
8. When you're done making changes, click the green CREATE button in the top right.
Edit an Existing Template
1. Navigate to the Interview page in your CodeSignal account and click the blue TEMPLATES link in the top right.
2. Click the pencil icon to the right of the name of the template you'd like to edit.
3. Here, you can rename your template, assign team ownership, rearrange tasks, add tasks, and remove tasks. (See steps 4-6 in the section above.)
4. Click the green UPDATE button when you're done.
Configure custom feedback for an interview template
When you edit or create a new template, you also have the option to customize how interviewers provide feedback on interview sessions that use a specific template.
1. From the Templates modal, create a new template or edit an existing template (see steps above).
2. From the New Template or Update Template screen, navigate to the FEEDBACK tab to the right of TASKS.
3. Click the ADD A CATEGORY button on the left to add a new category of feedback. Give your category a name and click SAVE. Repeat for all categories you'd like to create. For example, you could add "Technical Skills" and "Non-Technical Skills" as your categories.
4. Then, you'll need to add at least one attribute for each category you created. Click the ADD AN ATTRIBUTE button and give your attribute a name and (optionally) a description. Click SAVE. Repeat this step for all categories.
5. Lastly, you can optionally configure 2 additional settings for custom feedback. Click SETTINGS in the top right. From the pop-up, you can choose to toggle on:
- Overall Evaluation. This will add a field to your feedback with the default options of Strong No, No, Yes, and Strong Yes. These default options can be customized when you toggle on Overall Evaluation.
- Recommended Level. This will add a field to your feedback with custom options you need to define. For example, you might add the levels of Senior, Mid-Level, and Junior. Click ADD ANOTHER LEVEL to add more than one level for this field.
When you're done configuring your settings, click SAVE.
6. Remember to click the green CREATE or UPDATE button in the top right to finish creating or editing your template.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org