If you have been invited to take a test on CodeSignal, this guide will help you:
- Access the test in CodeSignal
- Start/Complete the test
- Troubleshoot common scenarios
Access the test
Click on the test URL you received via email. Depending on how the company chooses to send test requests, this email will either be directly from the company or from CodeSignal.
If this is your first time using CodeSignal in any capacity, once you click on the test URL you will see this Sign up page. If you need to access the test link again, you should use the Log In option.
If you have used CodeSignal before, either to take a test or in the developer platform, you will need to log in to take the test.
Start & Complete the test
After you sign in to take the test, you will see an information page with the following details:
- Test duration
- Each test has a custom time limit set by the administrator
- Note: Once you start the test, it must be completed in one sitting. No pausing is allowed.
- Number of tasks
- Tests can vary in the number of tasks and style of task which will be visible before you take the test.
- You must submit your work, via the green button in the IDE, in order to receive a score.
- You have the option to answer questions in any order and switch between tasks.
- Sample test
- As a best practice, we provide a sample test for you to view before taking the scored test.
- For practice before taking the scored test, click View Sample Test. Here you can see the variations on the duration and tasks in a sample test as well as the sample test instructions.
- Click Start to begin your sample test practice.
The below image was captured from a test account. You will see the company's name as the test title and variations on the duration and tasks in an actual live test.
Click Next to move to the final instruction page. Before you are able to move into the official test, you will need to:
- Select your preferred language to solve coding challenges
- You have the option to change the language later in the code editor.
- Acknowledge the terms
- Check the box beside each term to acknowledge you have read and agree to the terms.
After selecting your language and acknowledging the terms, click the Next button to start the test.
Note: Once you start the test, you are not able to pause it and restart again. You must complete the test in the given time frame or it will time out and submit as you left it.
Taking the Test
When you enter the test, the count down clock automatically begins. You will be prompted to submit your work when the clock reaches the one minute mark.
Once you click on a task, in the top right corner, you have the option to customize the IDE and change the language. The menu bar on the left has two tabs:
- Task Description- Task specific instructions and examples
- Read Me- General information for solving coding challenges
After completing a task, hit the green SUBMIT button, located at the bottom right. You must submit your work in order to receive a score for the task.
Optional: Skip a task by either clicking the SKIP button, next to Submit, or by clicking BACK TO TASKS at the top left of the IDE. You have the option to work on the task again as long as you submit your solutions before the test time expires.
My test link expired. Can I get a new test link?
We recommend reaching out directly to the person who requested you to take the assessment. The hiring company makes the decision on whether to re-administer a test for any reason. Please contact the hiring company directly for details on their processes around expired test invitations.
When I click on the test link, I get the message "Test not Found."
Once you start the test, you must complete it in one sitting. If you start the test and then leave for any reason, the count down clock does not stop and therefore the test will time out. When an attempt is made to access the test link again, the user will see a "Test not Found" error message. Please reach out to email@example.com if you see the "Test not Found" message when accessing the test for the first time.
When I try to access the test as a Guest, I get the message "Sign in with your password or click Forgot Password if you don't remember it." Why?
If you have used CodeSignal before, even by signing in as a guest for this test or another test, you will need to use the Log In tab to access the test. You are only able to access CodeSignal's platform as a guest one time.
Do I need to use a certain browser when taking the test?
We recommend you use the most up to date version of the following browsers:
Our preference is Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. If you are unsuccessful with one browser, try another. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are using an up-to-date version of the browser and remain unsuccessful in accessing the test.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com