Our Engineering teams hit the ground running in January, deploying new features, updates, and product improvements across all product areas.
With so many exciting new features, we can’t help but feature four in this month’s product notes:
- Run structured interviews using custom templates
- Set a limit on the age of certification results you request to be shared
- Configure unit test weights for filesystem tasks
- Interviews will expire 24 hours after they begin
Run structured interviews using custom templates
Conducting a structured interview in CodeSignal is now easier than ever. Before an interview, your company's CodeSignal admins can create a new interview template consisting of the tasks they want to use and in the order they choose.
To use the template during an interview session, just choose the new TEMPLATES tab (next to TESTS) and launch the appropriate template.
For more information about creating, editing, and using templates (including details about role permissions), check out these Knowledge Base articles:
Set a limit on the age of certification results you request to be shared
To ensure candidates share certification results that reflect their current abilities, CodeSignal now allows companies to define a limit on the age of shared certification results they will accept. This feature is now on by default, with the limit set to 6 months.
Companies can configure certification age limits for each certified assessment, with predefined options for 6 months up to 3 years. You can also set a custom time limit.
For more information, see this Knowledge Base article:
Configure unit test weights for filesystem tasks
As any engineer knows, not all test cases are created equal. CodeSignal now allows companies to define different scoring weights to each test case in a unit test with filesystem tasks.
To set a set weight, first navigate to the new TEST WEIGHTS tab in the left-hand panel. From there, you can either manually select test cases with the ADD A TEST CASE WEIGHT button—or, CodeSignal can select all test cases for you with AUTO-DETECT & REVIEW TEST CASES (recommended).
Interviews will expire 24 hours after they begin
While some things in life are meant to last forever, interview sessions are not! With this product update, CodeSignal interview sessions will expire and auto-finish 24 hours after the session starts. And, interview sessions will only start when a candidate AND an interviewer are present in the room at the same time.
Here's a comprehensive list of everything we pushed live in January, grouped by product area:
- Summary sections of result reports have been updated (web and PDF).
- Email address will be shown consistently.
- Whether or not the session was proctored will be shown.
- Raw X/Y score will be removed from the summary but shown in the solutions table column header.
- “Top Score” will no longer be shown in Certify dashboards or at the top of Coding Reports.
- The Coding Score column is now sortable in the Certified table.
- Companies can now set a custom outro message for standardized tests; this feature is no longer limited to company tests.
- CodeSignal now prompts candidates to fix their permissions on OS X if they can't share their camera or microphone streams by prompting them to allow their browser to access the camera and microphone.
- Similarity score will now be shown in the summary section of result reports (web and PDF).
- Improved clarity of error message when a participant cannot join the video call because there are already 4 participants.
- Cursors will now show the name of the person typing during an active live interview.
- Terminal sessions will now be recorded during interviews.
- All interview participants will automatically switch to the Terminal tab if there's typing in the terminal; participants will no longer be switched to the Terminal if a participant only clicks in it.
- Jupyter now appears in the Quickstart menu under the Data Science category rather than as a "Tool" with the whiteboard.
- Fixed a bug where the Jupyter notebook would show a red trial version banner when opening an old, unfinished interview.
- Fixed a bug with embedding CoCalc, improving the stability of Jupyter.
- Task library now features a "quick view" button that allows previewing task descriptions without having to open the task in a new tab.
- Configure available languages in free-coding tasks.
- It is now possible to run the starter code when creating a filesystem task.
- Users can now create SQL tasks through the UI or GraphQL API that have all input tables hidden.
- Author solutions will now be automatically imported from GitHub, when possible.
- IDE now shows a more obvious warning when editing outside of the allowed area of recovery tasks—or when making too many changes in a bugfix task.
- Users can now run just one test in a multi-run task, just as they can for regular single-function tasks.
- Front-end tasks now have a more obvious "Libraries" button and header collapses into two rows if it's too small.
- Tests panel will now start out collapsed for tasks that don't include the Terminal. It will auto-expand the first time tests are run.
- Languages & libraries
- R version bumped from v3 to v4.
- JVM templates now include the java.net.http package by default, making it easier to make HTTP requests.
- Single-function templates
- C++ now uses namespace wrappers instead of class wrappers.
- Filesystem / unit tests
- .NET Core tasks now support parameterized unit tests.
- Python 3 image now aliases python to Python 3 instead of Python 2
- Multi-run tasks will now correctly report the number of passed tests again.
- Multi-run tasks will now properly show error logs when they fail with a syntax error.
- Certify results shared with Greenhouse will now only include results visible for that company.
- GraphQL - Fixed a bug with StandardizedTestSession -> CodingScore.
- Client.managers and similar roles that had permission to create result & test labels now also have the ability to create task labels.
- Admins can now search for pending or expired users in the Admin Companies dashboard.
- Fixed a bug that could cause Internal Server Error when inviting new company contacts from the admin companies dashboard.
- Some feature toggles have been removed, and the following features are now always-on: Jupyter, persistent sessions, whiteboard image upload, filesystem task creation, SQL task creation.